Generate Leads and Build Your Real Estate Database with These Door Knocking Tips
Door knocking can be a very good activity for lead generation for real estate agents that are really committed.
Many of my coaching clients are having tremendous success with face to face and door to door contact with potential buyer and sellers.
So many of us if asked would say “I am at my best when face to face with people” so door knocking is a natural for us all.
For new Realtors this is a fantastic way to build your database and sphere of influence and for experienced agents this is a great way to top up the funnel of leads and introduce new people to your business each year.
Door knocking is all about one thing “showing up” and being consistent with your schedule and blocking regular time for it. 20 minutes a month and 5 doors with nobody home does not make a career in real estate.
Top Real Estate Tips and Strategies for Door Knocking in 2014
- Door knock at least one hour a time – Commit to being out for a minimum of one hour and make a goal of knocking on a minimum of 25 doors before you are finished for the day. I remember over 20 years ago the company I worked for made us do what they called “Tell 20” which was knocking on 20 doors minimum and telling the neighbors about your new listing or your recent sale. It always led to some kind of business for me.
- Set appointments with potential leads for another time – Maintain your focus and commit to getting through the one hour and 25 doors. Don’t just stop and lose all momentum and try to take care of the prospect immediately. Let them know you would love to meet and ask if tomorrow at 2pm is good or the next day at 7pm is better for you? Keep it moving!
- Don’t get discouraged – Know the numbers… the odds are estimated at an appointment for every 50 doors you knock on. That is doors you knocked on and people that you spoke with… not 50 doors where 27 of them didn’t answer or were not home!
- Add value to them – WIIFM? When you are knocking on a door and possibly invading someone’s personal domain or space you better add value and not take away from their space and time when door knocking. So how do we add value? We add value by coming with valuable data, information that the prospect would love to hear about and would see value in knowing about.
- Value Add #1 – Recent listing on the street or in the neighborhood. Who wouldn’t want to know the latest asking price on the street or in their neighborhood? Nothing better than to introduce yourself and let them know that you or your company just recently listed a home and what it looks like. I know I would be curious! “Hi Mr. and Mrs. Seller my name is Wade Webb from Agentsboost realty and I am in the area to let people know about a new listing we just took on your street. Nobody knows the neighborhood better than you do and you may know a friend or family member that might be interested. It is a 2 storey, 4 bed, 3 bath, 3,600 square foot home with a double garage and the asking price is $595,000. Here are some details on the home and if you think of someone just call me with their name and number and I would be happy to follow up and give them excellent service.”
- Value Add #2 – Recent sale on the street or in the neighborhood. Who wouldn’t want to know the latest sale price on the street or in their neighborhood? Nothing better than to introduce yourself and let them know that you or your company just recently sold a home, what it looks like, what it offered and how much it sold for. I know I would be curious! “Hi Mr. and Mrs. Seller my name is Wade Webb from Agentsboost realty and I am in the area to let people know about the recent sale on your street. From our marketing efforts we have buyers that missed out on this home and are still interested in your neighborhood so we are asking if you had considered selling now or in the near future? The home was a 2 storey, 4 bed, 3 bath, 3,600 square foot home with a double garage and the asking price is $595,000 and sold for $587,000. Here are some details on the home and if you think of someone interested in selling to one of these buyers just call me with their name and number and I would be happy to follow up and give them excellent service.”
- Value Add #3 – Bona Fide Buyer in the area or neighborhood. You are in the area to find someone who may want to sell a home that would work for your ready, willing and able buyer. You let them know a little about your buyer so they know that you are not just making it up. You promised them you would go out and find a home for them because nothing on the market currently works for them and you would love the residents in the area to help you find the right home for your buyer. Who wouldn’t mind helping you help those buyers. I know I would! “Hi Mr. and Mrs. Seller my name is Wade Webb from Agentsboost Realty and I am in the area to ask for your help. I am currently working with a buyer and nothing currently listed on the market in your area fits their needs. I have made a promise to them that I would walk the area and find a home that would fit their needs for them to buy. Bob and Betty Buyer have 2 young children and are relocating from another area and have fallen in love with the area and heard many great things about the school. I was wondering if you were considering selling or knew of someone in your neighborhood considering selling now or in the near future and maybe help this young family find their new home? Here are some details of what they are looking for and if you consider selling yourself or think of someone interested in selling just call me with their name and number and I would be happy to follow up and give them excellent service.”
- Value Add #4- Invite for a neighborhood VIP open house you are hosting the coming up weekend. You are inviting the neighbors who know their area best to come and preview your open house in case they have a friend, family member of co-worker that may want to move into their neighborhood and consider your open house listing and an opportunity to pick their new neighbors. I know I may come by and look or let someone I know, know about the listing! “Hi Mr. and Mrs. Seller my name is Wade Webb from Agentsboost realty and I am in the area to let people know about a new listing we just took on your street and invite you to a neighborhood VIP viewing of this home coming up this Sunday from 1-2pm. Nobody knows the neighborhood better than you do and you may know a friend or family member that might be interested and would love them to join you. It is a 2 storey, 4 bed, 3 bath, 3,600 square foot home with a double garage and the asking price is $595,000. Here are some details on the home and if you think of someone just call me with their name and number and I would be happy to follow up and give them excellent service. I hope to see you at the VIP neighborhood viewing this Sunday from 1-2 p.m.”
- Value Add #5 – Offer to subscribe them to your VIP Direct Buyer program that provides them with lists and email alerts of distress sale properties, foreclosures, fixer uppers, estate sales, short sales, sleeve and pocket listings that are for sale but not currently on the MLS system. Properties that are potentially hot buys in today’s market. Would that be of interest to you?
- Always provide value – The key is providing the value when door knocking but then make sure you collect the GOLD which is adding the prospect to your database and collecting their name, address, email and phone number and get permission to establish a relationship with them for real estate services in the future. The best way to do this is my mentor and friend Joe Neigo’s mayor campaign script. “Out of curiosity if you had a friend or family member buying or selling who do you refer or recommend your real estate business to? The reason I ask is I would like to be that person. From time to time I provide my clients with valuable information like market statistics, best buys, just listed and just sold’s, articles on home improvement ideas and more. Would that information be of interest to you? What would the best place I could send that to? In case I needed to get a hold of you about a hot deal or tip what would be the best number I could reach you at?” Such a great way to collect and add an addition to your database without being unprofessional or pushy.
- Give a gift – The last tip is to leave anyone that subscribes to your database a thank-you gift like a pen, grocery list pad or N.A.R. says a magnet with some valuable content or information as being one of the more engaging or appreciated items to leave behind with prospects when door knocking. It is nice to show your appreciation and give them something for their valuable time.
Gone are the days of calling over the phone and knocking on the door and asking prospects “Hi you wanna sell your house?” Yes I know a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while but things need to change and our focus needs to be clear.
The goal is to build and add to your database and collect the contact information but it is also to add value to the residents in the area and provide information that is beneficial and helpful to them and leave them feeling that they were even glad that you stopped by.
I hope that your door knocking strategies improve and that you start building and freshening up that real estate database and even finding some buyers, sellers and generating some listings and sales from your face to face door knocking strategies in the last quarter of 2014 and finish the year strong!
Strength and Courage!
Please pass on these door knocking tips using the social buttons below…