Knowing what the biggest objection you face over the next few months allows you the edge to be prepared when it strikes. We all know the #1 objection all agents are going to get from real estate buyers and sellers
is “We want to wait until the spring.” So having the ability to change how the buyer and seller feels about waiting to buy or sell until the spring is imperative to your winter real estate success!! Don’t try changing their minds and building their defense mechanism up but educate them and change how they think and then they change how they feel about buying over the winter instead of spring. The fact of the matter is, the reasons and myths are endless so it’s our job as REALTORS® to be equipped with facts and a strong reality check to combat these reasons we hear every day. To help you educate the consumers through the winter season I put together some of my top reasons a client would want to choose this time of year to buy, sell and list a home.
Here Are The Top Reasons to Sell Real Estate Over The Winter
#1 – Only The Serious Buyers Are Looking Over The Winter
#2 – Fewer Winter Listings Means Less Listing Competition
- Yes there are fewer buyers, but those buyers are usually very SERIOUS about making a purchase or many HAVE to make a purchase. Who else would want to look at buying during the winter?
#3 – January Is The Biggest Corporate Transfer Month
- Most sellers wait until the spring or summer to list, so your home will have far less competition
- Spring = Greater supply = Same Demand = Less Money
#4 – Better Personal Prompt Customer Service
- More corporate relocation moves happen during January than any other time of the year.
- Catch the corporate relocation buyers while you can.
#5 – More Bargaining Time to Get More Money
- By putting the home on the market during the winter you experience better, personal and faster customer service from movers, lawyers, banks, insurance providers etc. Listing realtors have more time to better serve their sellers and get all the marketing strategies in place.
#6 – Timing Is Everything. So Sell Now & Buy In The Spring
- By starting to market your home early, you may be able to secure a higher price with more listing exposure time. This season allows a seller to not be in a rush to sell and allow for more market exposure time and ultimately generate a higher price than in the spring.
#7 – Standing Out In A Smaller Crowd
- If your home sells quickly, you will be able to shop for your next home during the winter, a great time to find a bargain!
- More time to look and not pressure to shop and beat the other buyers. Sell first and then buy in the spring when the inventory and selection begins to rise for you when you are the buyer.
#8 – 20% Of Sales Still Happen During the Winter
- Most REALTORS® and offices have less inventory during the winter, enabling your home to stand out even more.
- Less marketing noise out there for the buyers and they see your home with ease now.
#9 – Buying Without Having Something To Sell First
- Buyers and Sellers are usually quite motivated to get the transaction completed. We still have 20% of the business in the year occurring during the winter.
- This can mean less price haggling and fewer hassles during the process.
#10 – No Yard Work When It’s Freshly Covered In Snow
- By selling now you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the spring, when more houses are on the market!
- Less “subject to the sale” offers from buyers and you are not one of them when you are buying your next home.
- Great time for a home that needs a yard make over to sell.
- No need to worry about your yard work. Snow makes it look fresh and white.
#11 – Buyers Time Everything Too
#12 – No Pricing Wars With Others Sellers
- Buyers begin the search and purchase for spring moves in January, February.
- Busy move times are March Spring Break, April Easter, May long weekend and July long weekends
#13 – A Holiday Magic Feel To Your Home
- Less choice for buyers means less sellers to play pricing against each other
- Buyers will often make more concession in their buying decision with less choice
#14 – Higher Quality No Looky Loo Showings
- Property shows well, almost staged with holiday décor adding to the ambiance
- Tis the season for your home to shine!
#15 – Right Buyer, Right Time Odds
- Little chance of quick showings and not being prepared to show your home
- Easier time of year to make appointments and give sellers advance notice.
- Higher quality showings
Here Are My Top 10 Reasons to Buy Over The Winter
#1 – Fewer Or No Multiple Offers
- The odds are the same for the right buyer looking at your home regardless of the season.
- Right buyer, right time, right home
#2 – Better Personal Prompt Customer Service
- Little or no chance of multiple or competing offers for the buyer during this time of year
#3 – Sellers Are Motivated
- Better service from all service providers like the agents, banks, insurers etc. Not as busy now.
#4 – Expired Listing Inventory
- Sellers motivated at this time of year if still trying to sell from summer or fall.
- Sellers willing to negotiate, been on the market for some time now. Give and take.
#5 – Better Closing Options
- Buyers can shop the expired listings market, which has the largest selection this time of the year.
#6 – More Alternative Housing Options
- Good time of year to make an offer and do the due diligence, buyers can move quickly now or slower in the spring if not in a rush.
#7 – Contingencies and Subject to the Sale Of Acceptable
- Easier for sellers to find alternative housing, not as much pressure finding a rental vs. the really busy spring and summer season.
#8 – Better Available Moving & Service Providers
- Great time for buyers to make contingent “Subject to the Sale” offers and get them accepted and movement on the price.
#9 – Smoother Mistake Free Completions
- Easier time for a buyer to move and find help and services like movers, cleaners, storage.
#10 – Buyer Competition Lower
- Better timing for buyers on completions with lawyers, banks land registry. Not that busy and time to attend to you now.
- Less competition for the same property from other buyers on the deals that pop up this time of year.
#11 – Having More Time
Having time to make a decision and not be pressured in to offers or pressured into removing conditions or speeding up your due diligence time.
Now that you’re equipped with ammo to overcome any objection, educate the consumers and debunk the myths and go out there and list and sell some real estate this winter season!!
Strength and courage,